Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Review #7 Avery Brewing Co: Dépuceleuse

One of my beer guys at work told me about this beer just after ordering it.  Immediately the words zinfandel barrel-aged, and sour cherries peaked my interest.  This is the 4th beer in the series of Wild Ales that Avery is producing, which really don't conform to any standard style or categories.  I knew I would have to snag one when they came in, I mean c'mon, sour cherries?  I love sour things!  (Beers included).

When the beer came in I was alerted and went to grab a bottle before they hit the shelf.  Then they pointed out the name.  Funny.  Nice giggle factor.  I have definitely had a few good chuckles with it, especially when customers ask about it, or try to phonetically sound it out.  Go ahead, do it.  Cute, huh?

On to the beer itself.  It pours a hazy reddish copper, with just a tiny bit of creamy head that doesn't stick around too long.  Aromas of oak, cherries, wine and a little funk give it a pretty awesome character.  It's almost prickly, but still creamy carbonation (probably from the Brettanomycyes fermentation), gives way to a really pleasing sour beer.  It's tart, and sour, and pretty much tastes just like a Flemish, only with a great flavor of oak, and a hint of zinfandel from start to finish.  It is very easy to drink, and I really couldn't tell that it clocks in at 9.59% ABV.

OK, so what now?:  If you like sours, definitely give this one a try if you can find it.  It has me excited for the rest of the barrel-aged series from Avery as they become available.  Who knows what they will come up with next?

No comments:

Post a Comment