Friday, May 14, 2010

Review #3 Oskar Blues: Gubna

Let me preface this review with this: I am not a hop head. A lot of IPAs are far too hoppy for my liking, although I am getting used to them and learning to appreciate them more. But then there was the fated afternoon I met the Gubna.

I was at an industry tasting in Manhattan, casually drinking my way around the U.S. Brewery Room (coincidentally missing the Brew Dog Tactical Nuclear Penguin and Sink the Bismark! tastings...) when I came up to the Oskar Blues table. At that point I had imbibed all of the widely available offering from the Blues, and was about to settle for a taste of my fave- the Ten Fiddy. Then a light shone down from above and the kind gentleman asked if we had heard of their newest offering, which would be available in a few short weeks. I shrugged my shoulders as he poured me some of the golden liquid with a thin head I would later know as The Gubna. My outlook on IPAs would be forever changed. I took a deep breath. Huge hops (100 IBUs), large hints of pine, and some good orange and grapefruit citrus notes. The taste was malty, a little sweet, and still held some of the citrus and pine. It had a heavy mouth feel, and you could definitely taste the alcohol content (10% ABV). The hops come in and finish off the beer on the back end in a big way. It is surprisingly easy to drink, even for me. I have had it a few times since, all in cans, and it has not disappointed. Nice one, Oskar Blues.

What I say: Whether you like IPAs or don't. Get you some! At least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment