Friday, May 14, 2010

Review #1 21st Amendment, Firestone Walker, Stone Brewery El Camino (Un)Real Ale


The second this beer was ready to hit the shelf at work I snagged one and was pumped to drink it. I love strong ales of all types, but was especially ready to try this one because of all of the odd ingredients put into the brew. Fennel seeds, figs, pink peppercorns and chia seeds. I mean, who puts chia seeds (one of the newer health food fads) into a beer? But hey, I like all three breweries on the collab, and knew it would be awesome. It did not disappoint.

Once you pour this 12 ounces of joy into your glass, you will notice that it is almost pitch black and has a nice tan head that hangs around for a long time. It has a nice grassy, floral, peppercorn, and tobacco aroma which only made me want to drink it more. Once I did, I was delighted by the sweet fig (almost date) flavor that blended perfectly with the dark chocolate malts, hints of caramel, and slight citrus notes. This beer has girth, it's meaty, creamy, kind of chewy, and you can barely tell that it has an ABV of 9.5%. It kind of reminded me of the perfect adult granola bar.

My verdict: I bought more. You should get some if you can. But beware, it goes down VERY easy for a 9.5%, and could be dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment