Saturday, May 15, 2010

Review #4 The Bruery: Saison de Lente

I love saisons.  Their appearance on the beer market means that it is spring, and soon to be summer.  All of them vary so greatly in taste, aroma, and finish that you kind of have to try each and every one you can get your hands on.  But this beer pissed me off.  I am impatient, always punctual, and kind of expect my beer to be the same- ready to drink when I want it.

So I open this bottle, recommended to me by a co-worker, and BAM!  There is enough carbonation in here to scare Ralphie from 'A Christmas Story' into never drinking a beer in his life.  I literally thought I shot my eye out.  I pour a glass of the beer, and by beer I mean head.  Lots of it.  It takes up 75% of the glass with its amazing aromas of citrus, flowers, yeast, and peppercorns.  I figure I just need to wait a second, but no, it doesn't let up.  This head is here to stay- at least as long as the beer is cold.  So I wait.  And wait.  After about 15 minutes I am able to make an actual glass of beer appear by sloooowly adding more from the bottle as the head sloooowly dies.  Thank God because I really want to drink this!

Underneath the everlasting one inch head lies fruity notes, a great yeasty flavor, some wonderful bitters, a nice hop kick, and a great peppery finish that I detected in the nose.  It was spicy, dry, fruity, oh hell; it was each and every thing a great saison should be.  Absolutely delicious.

What it do: Totally awesome.  Just do yourself a favor and drink another beer while you start pouring this.  Unless you aren't overly impatient like me, but with something this good, it is hard not to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment