Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Review #6 Founders Brewery: Kentucky Breakfast Stout

This is one of those beers that you hear about constantly.  Everyone is talking about it like its gods gift to humanity in a bottle.  But, you just can't seem to get your hands on it.  From the initial rumblings I had heard about Founders while living in San Francisco, I couldn't wait to someday try some of their beer.  Luckily, Founders has made its way to NYC, and I could finally see what all of the hype has been about. Coincidentally, the hype is well deserved.

I can't say much about this beer except- buy it.  Do it now.  Stop reading, open a new tab, and try to Google where you can get some.

... Ok, are you back now?  Whether you found some, or didn't (make sure you do next year), what you are about to experience is going to be amazing.

It pours absolutely black with a light tan head that diminishes very quickly.  It's nose is a heavy bourbon whiskey, with coffee, chocolate, and a little oatmeal.  The bourbon continues as you drink, from beginning to end, being paired at the start with the oatmeal, some malt, and some maple syrup; and finishing with the coffee and chocolate.   It's pretty much perfect. 

I have had it on draft several times now, and in the bottle for breakfast.  What, it was my day off, and its has breakfast in the name.  Each and every time it is a wonderful taste sensation that makes me want it more and more.

What I say:  I think I have already been over that.  Order it if you see it on draft.  If you find some bottles, grab 'em.  I bought all I could afford at the time, and they are currently sitting in my cellar until a special occasion (like breakfast) arises, or in case someone who can't find it in their area wants to do a beer trade.  I probably won't part with it too easily though, just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment