Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Review # 12 Founder's Brewery: Curmudgeon Old Ale

When new stuff from Founder's comes into work I get pretty excited.  We have been lucky to get our hands on most of the seasonals this year, and none of them have been a disappointment.  In fact, living here in New York, I have been able to try about a dozen of their offerings on taps and in bottles around the area and I can honestly say that they do not make a bad beer.  Going a little further than that, I feel that every beer I have tried of theirs is at or near the top of its category. 

Founder's wants you to think of olde thyme fishing ports, old fisherman, and the pubs they frequented when drinking this beer.  I will tell you what, if this is the beer of fishermen, sign me up for a job!

This Old Ale pours a wonderful amber color with a very tiny head.  The nose is malty with notes of molasses, butterscotch, raisins or prunes, and a hint of vanilla.  It is easy to drink despite its alcohol content (9.8% ABV) with a smooth, soft mouth feel.  The malt and molasses continues in tasting, and just when you might think it's too sweet, there is a nice mild hop kick (50 IBU's) that balances out the sweetness perfectly.  There is a slight flavor of the oak aging present in the finish right before you taste just a little bit of the alcohol on the back of your tongue.  A wonderful drinking experience. 

OK, really fan boy? :  Yes, really.  Easily one of the best Old Ales I have ever had.  If you like Old Ales, Strong Ales, or Barleywine, you are going to love this brew.  If you don't, I would still give anything with a Founder's label on it a try if you come across it.

No comments:

Post a Comment