Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Review # 11 Samuel Adams: Summer Ale

I will start by saying this:  I am not a Sam Adams hater.  There is a lot of talk about Sammy being the biggest craft brewery and getting too big for their britches.  So what?  They have delivered decent beers to America as a small company for years, and have been successful in doing so.  If they make two million and one barrels, should they have to lose their "craft beer" label.  Not in my opinion.  As long as they still produce the same beer with the same quality ingredients, what is the problem with a business growing and appealing to more people, especially as the craft beer movement keeps gaining strength?  Samuel Adam's has always made a consistent product, that appeals to people across all markets, and in turn introduces many people to craft beer who would normally not drink it.  Not to mention the fact that their successful year-round brews and seasonal beers allow them to make things like Utopia, Triple Bock, and sponsor a home brewer contest where winners get to have their beers produced by Sam and distributed to the entire country.  Not so evil, eh?

So what are you trying to say Kenny?:  I don't like this beer.  It lacks character, body, and flavor.  While this does make it surprisingly easy to drink, it does no justice for the price tag.  I might call it the Miller Lite of Summer beers.   Yeah, I think that pretty much sums it up.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't like the summer ale for those exact reasons. When I drink a "Craft beer" I expect to taste something, some character or some different flavor that you can't get anywhere else. With the Summer Ale I had high hopes, and was let down. There was something to be desired.

    ReplyDelete