Friday, July 16, 2010

TNP. Tactical Nuclear Pigeon #1: Lagunitas Imperial Stout

By now most everyone who even drinks craft beer occasionally has heard of Brew Dog's Tactical Nuclear Penguin, and Sink the Bismark.  These beers are ice bocks, a process of distillation, not fermentation which is technically illegal in the U.S.  I won't bore you with semantics, just google it; there is plenty to read.  The gist is: water freezes at  32 degrees Farenheit, and ethanol (the stuff that gets you drunk) freezes at -173 degrees.  By freezing the water in a beer, you can remove it and have a higher alcohol product left over.  Pretty sweet eh?  This process is not illegal anywhere else, and even though it is illegal to produce an ice bock in the U.S., it is perfectly legal to import one for sale.  I know, go figure.

This production method is pretty labor intensive for breweries who usually need to transport the beer to big freezers at places like ice cream factories (like Brew Dog does) multiple times between removing the frozen water.  This fact, consumer demand, and shipping can drive prices through the roof.  It will cost you about $90 to get a bottle of the penguin delivered to your door here in the States.  Not to mention, it's not always available and you might have to wait.  I am impatient, and I don't normally want to spend $90 on one beer, so I got really bummed for a while until I remembered something:

I HAVE A FREEZER AND ACCESS TO TONS OF GREAT BEERS!

So I decided that once a week, I will take one of my favorite strong beers, freeze it, strain it, drink it, and then let you know what I think.  I will call it Tactical Nuclear Pigeon, because I will never have enough money to see a penguin in its natural habitat, but seeing pigeons is pretty much free.

Enough P.S. on to the beer.  First up:


Lagunitas Imperial Stout.  I chose this beer because it is delicious on its own, and it's only $4.99 for a bomber here in NYC.  It still weighs in with an original 9.6% ABV, which I planned to increase dramatically. 

My original plan was to freeze it in the bottle with the cap off, but then I realized it would overflow or explode, so I opted for a large plastic container.  I covered it loosely with the lid, and let it go in the freezer for 24 hours. 

What I got was three ounces of a very strong, concentrated version of the original beer.  A little more oily in mouthfeel, and with about 25% of the alcohol burn I expected.  It still retained all of the delicious molasses, caramel, and maltiness of the original brew.  Plus, it got me kinda tipsy, even though I was nursing it.

I realized a few mistakes from this original experiment, which I will correct next week to get an even better yield, but suffice to say: the pigeon is in the house, and here to stay! 

2 comments:

  1. I have decided, Kenneth, that I am going to write my own beer blog that has the same content as yours except that it'll be in my own words. Then all the comments will be a back and forth between you and I about who is stealing whose idea and creative commons and we trash each others writing and opinions. Slowley over time we start to develop a dialogue about a shared experience and eventually bond through the sameness of our thoughts. What a yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenny, I love this idea! I can't wait to read about the next attempt. I kinda really want to give this experiment a whack, but a 3oz yield? That's a whole lot of precious impy stout to be offering to the gods. Maybe I'll wait to hear about your upgraded methodology before I do it on my own.

    ReplyDelete